Signal Strength is a project to advance mobile democracy. It consists of modules for ad-hoc social networking that let people in an urban area interact offline, leveraging their mobile phones for untraceable communications.
Read more about the initiative here.
The best with the app/supporting initiative
Built for grassroots and is an example of how different entrepreneurs/groups are waking up to the fact that communication already is, and might be very more, restricted and monitored.
The weak parts of the app/supporting initiative
Not many, more support to develop it further is needed.
What could accelerate this app/supporting initiative into a world changer?
Getting more people to use it. But it is a dilemma as totally free communication is something that makes all governments very scared so any solution that gets to widely spread will be blocked/stopped.
How direct is the delivery of the result the app tries to achieve
- Long shot
Just use it...
How transformative is it
- A new world
- A major shift
- A bit of a shake-up
- A gentle rocking
The idea of really free communication is very transformative.
How much does it encourage collaborations
How much are new networks supported
- Strong support for global networks?
- Currently encourages new forms of collaboration
- Provides interesting opportunities in the future
- Restricted to a small (expert) group
It is all about enabling collaboration. The challenge is that it is local in its solution so it is important to address cyber-balkanisation.
What synergies can be delivered
How well does it also solve other problems/generate solutions
- It solves everything
- Several important challenges
- Some important challenges
- Only one challenge
Ensuring open connectivity is key for collaboration.
Nine billion contribution
How global is it? Is it helping/will it help everyone on the planet
- Instant global equality
- Almost global
- Getting (incrementally) global
- Not applicable
It is important to ensure that poor people can participate, also in networks in rich parts of the world.
Building on current trends
How well does it use current trends
- The app is setting new trends by itself
- Building on multiple trends
- Effectively building on one trend
- Not really building on any major trend
Smart phones and new technologies to communicate (especially on short distances) are developing fast.
How fast can it deliver
- It's already happening
- In the coming weeks
- In a year or so
- In a distant future (hopefully)
Does it support transformative transparency
- Brave new transparency
- Transparency that is innovative (never seen before)
- Increased transparency, but nothing innovative
- No increase in transparency
That information is possible to share is crucial for transparency.