Here is the link to the blog, Mobile applications: a window of opportunity, I wrote in the Guardian. In this article I introduced the challenge to some of the key companies that could help support transformative applications.
I will follow up with these companies after the summer and do a ranking to see what companies that are supporting transformative applications and how. Please let me know if you think there are other companies that should be added.
• The developers of operating systems such as Apple, Google, RIM, HP and Microsoft. They control the markets and can promote transformative apps in the future.
• Operators such as Verizon, AT&T, China Mobile, Vodafone and Telenor. They influence the use of smartphones and can provide information to users about the possibilities.
• ICT companies, especially manufacturers of mobile devices such as Nokia, HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Apple, Motorola and HP, who can encourage the use of and even pre-install transformative apps.
• Governments, as they decide how to engage with citizens and what they require of the stakeholders on the market.
• All companies that interact with consumers, in fields including retail, energy, health, design and marketing, which can provide apps that allow users to be part of the solution.